Hoʻoulu Scholarship Program
What is the Hoʻoulu Scholarship Program?
This Scholarship Program is funded by Kamehameha Schools and Chaminade University. Ho’oulu envisions a healthy, prosperous, just, and sustainable lāhui enabled by a new generation of Hawaiian scientists, health practitioners, forensic specialists, environmental professionals and business leaders who are equally grounded in science and culture.
What benefits does the Hoʻoulu Scholarship Program provide?
- Full tuition assistance (100% of tuition not to exceed the published amount)
- Consideration for partial housing subsidy for on- or off-campus housing
- Wraparound academic support services to promote on-time graduation
- Participation in Chaminade’s four-year graduation guarantee
- Access to post-graduate career paths via Chaminade’s suite of articulation agreements with medical and graduate schools
- Paid internships for professional development
- Financial support for career development activities such as MCAT and GRE preparation
What is an eligible program of study?
Bachelors of Science degrees (BS) in Biology, Biochemistry, Forensic Sciences, Environmental Studies or Nursing (BSN). Students majoring in Business are also eligible for consideration. Students in the pre-health professions (not including Nursing) must declare a major in one of the Bachelor of Science degree programs noted above to be considered for the scholarship.
- Unconditional admission as a first-year or transfer student
- Pursue a degree in one of the qualifying programs of study
This scholarship gives preference to applicants of Native Hawaiian ancestry to the extent permitted by law.
First-year students pursuing majors in Biology, Biochemistry, Forensic Sciences, Environmental Studies, Nursing or Business.
- 2.50 Cumulative High School GPA (2.75 for Nursing majors)
- SAT or ACT Test Scores (SAT -Reading + Writing + Math= minimum 1000/ ACT Composite = minimum 19)
Transfer students pursuing majors in Biology, Biochemistry, Forensic Sciences, Environmental Studies, Nursing or Business.
- 2.50 Cumulative College GPA
Maintaining Scholarship Eligibliity
- 2.50 minimum cumulative GPA
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year to be considered for need-based assistance
- Fully participate and abide by the Terms and Conditions provided upon award
How to Apply
Submit an application for admission (chaminade.edu/apply) indicating a major in Biology, Biochemistry, Forensic Sciences, Environmental Studies, Nursing or Business. Students interested in Pre-health must indicate a science major (not including nursing) to be eligible for consideration.
Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year to be considered for need-based financial assistance: fafsa.ed.gov
Submit the Ho`oulu Scholarship application and supporting documents including contact information for two references (name, email, phone number, and academic position) and an academic resume detailing extra-curricular activities and internships.
Submit a 500 word personal statement that addresses the following questions:
- How have you prepared both academically and in extracurricular activities for college and your intended major?
- What academic or external challenges might you face or have you faced in the past and how did you navigate these challenges?
- How do you plan to give back to your community after earning your degree?
- What are your career goals and how do you think being a Ho’oulu Scholar will help you?
Native Hawaiian applicants should provide a copy of their birth certificate or Ho’oulu Hawaiian Data Center Certification indicating their Native Hawaiian ancestry as preference is given to these applicants to the extent permitted by law. The birth certificate/Hawaiian Data Center Certification should be mailed to the Admissions Office at Chaminade University, 3140 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816.
Full tuition assistance (100% of tuition not to exceed the published amount)
Scholarship Application Form and Deadline
Priority Consideration will be given to applicants who file the scholarship application and submit the required supporting documents by March 15, 2018.
Applicants not applying by the March 15 priority date must complete the application process by April 1, 2018 to be considered for the scholarship.
Applicants will be officially notified in writing prior to May 1, 2018 if they are selected for the scholarship.